2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion (1/2 lg. onion)
3/4 cup chopped bell pepper (1 green and 1 red)
1/2 cup chopped celery (approx. 3 stalks)
1 lb. shrimp peeled and de-veined (or kielbasa for a less healthy version)
1 lb. cubed chicken breast (cooked)
1 clove chopped garlic
14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes – no salt added
(2) 29 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat
2. Cook the onions, bell peppers, and celery – saute until golden and soft
3. In a separate pan, brown the cubed chicken and set aside
4. Add the shrimp and bay leaves and saute until shrimp is pink
5. Add the chicken and cook for few more minutes
6. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, salt, cayenne, black pepper
and thyme and cook for about 10 minutes – stirring often.
7. Cover and cook over medium heat for 25 to 35 minutes.
Serve with rice on the side – for the healthier version, use brown rice..
* Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves if you can find them!